Monday, June 4, 2012

Supernaturally Complicated

What I’m listening to right now: I’m Glad You Came, The Wanted
What mood I’m in today: Writing


Okay, so when I first started reading this book – months ago – I couldn’t get into it for some reason. Maybe it was just the place I was in at the time. Mentally. But I picked it up again a few days ago, and oh my bleep! It was awesomeness that I couldn’t put down. By the way, I was in the store the other day and when confronted with a problem actually said, “Oh bleep!” out loud. I’m pretty sure I got some weird looks for that. Not to mention when I said that the pants with the bling on them were “Uber-sparkly.” (yes, overly sparkly so much so that it was a little disturbing)

Supernaturally starts out with Evie at school, trying to play a game of soccer, which she’s terrible at. She describes her new “normal” life briefly, before being Raquel unexplainably checks her out of school and she is snatched by a sylph and dragged up into the clouds. Unable to fight him any other way, she steals some of his soul and starts to half-fall, half-float to the ground.

So the whole point of the story is how she starts working with IPCA again because she wants just a hint of her other life back, how she lies to Lend, a new boy from IPCA named Jack that’s mischievous with a wicked grin to match, and what she finds out about her past. WARNING – SPOILER ALERT! She actually has a father, a drunk faerie who Reth introduces her too, and a mother who she knows nothing about, except that she was probably human and probably dead.

I absolutely loved this book, and I think it was because I could relate so completely to Evie right now. She struggles with feeling a part of nothing, the fact that she belongs to no race whatsoever; not quite human, not quite faerie, and nowhere in between. Figuring out exactly what you’re supposed to be or who you are is a grueling, sometimes earth-shattering experience. I so know how that feels. And sometimes you round another corner and “Oh bleep!” It starts all over again. Four stars, definitely, better than Paranormalcy even, and a fun but empathetic reading experience.

I love Kiertsen White, and I love how she uses “bleep” to get away with no vulgarity in her books. Love it! And it’s also a happy little reminder of Lish. Oh Lish, we miss you. Anyway, I’m also super excited because the third book in the series, Endlessly, comes out July 24. May I direct you to her blog? http://kierstenwrites.blogspot.com/. Yep, so excited.

Until next time, Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment