Wednesday, May 23, 2012

A Wrinkle in Time



What I’m listening to right now: NPR

Mood I’m in today: reading


Meg Murry is a stubborn, out-of-place girl who spends most of time defending her youngest brother, Charles Wallace, with her fist. Her father disappeared a few years ago, and the town’s all-a-talk about how he abandoned his family and turned Meg and her brother into stupid kids.

Little does Meg know, her father’s been on another planet during most of this time. Along with her brother Charles Wallace, and her new friend Calvin, three mysterious ladies take them through the “Wrinkle” in time and space in order to face the Evil darkness that is consuming other planets, including earth.

Overall, I’m giving this book 4 out of 5 stars. It was a great read, and I really got into parts of it. Although this is considered a children’s book, I definitely wouldn’t rule out Young Adults as an appropriate audience. I love the instant friendship between Meg and Calvin, and how much they rely on each other throughout the book, how Meg is always reaching out for his hand. The character development – a realization that being stubborn can be a great strength, for example – is well done throughout the book.

I love the three ladies, especially Mrs. Whatsit, who you come to find out had an amazing past and gave up something she loved dearly to fight the Evil dark thing.

There was something about this story that bothered me, though I’m not exactly sure what. Maybe the waiting so long to find out what happened to Meg’s father? Of course, this did allow for some character development.

A good story, one to read with your entire family. Again, happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment