Thursday, June 28, 2012

Shatter Me

What mood I'm in today: Writing
What I'm listening to right now: What Makes You Beautiful, One Direction (Yes, I'm a geek)


So I've been waiting to read Shatter Me for a while now, after hearing fantastic things about it. And I'm hear to tell you, they're all true.

First I'll get this out of the way: I'm not a big fan of lots of swearing (a few too many for me in this book) and it's a little violent in places, but the reason Tahereh Mafi gets away with this is the story is great!

From the get go, you have a mystery to figure out. Who is this girl in prison that can't touch people? And why can't she touch people? Well, it's because she can kill them. With her skin.

Juliette gets a roommate, someone she knows, who doesn't remember her. She is taken out of prison and sent to a place slightly worse: a big gray building owned by the Reestablishment and conducted by a nineteen-year-old psycho named Warner. (So many questions already, right? Who is the Reestablishment? Is this futuristic? Not telling.)

And Warner is seriously scary.

He wants Juliette in every way imaginable, but he wants her to torture people at his side. Not only this, but he resents having to force her to do it. He wants her to want to do it. He knows exactly what to say to get her mad and do what he wants her to do. He's cruel from the inside out, and he still has this weird thing about his mom that we have yet to discover.

Adam, gorgeous and protective lovely Adam, was the soldier assigned to her cell. He loves her, has since third grade, but she doesn't know this. He's super protective of her, tells her about the cameras in her room, and finally figures out he can touch her.

Adam can touch her, and it doesn't hurt him. How perfect is that?

Without giving away much more, I'll tell you what I love about this book. It was a challenge to read because of the writing style, (words crossed out, extremely poetic) but I loved it for this reason. It opened my brain up, and I could picture everything almost perfectly. I like the love story - it's a bit over-the-top for me, but a great story nonetheless. The end was fantastic and gives you a feeling of hope, even though it's not the end of the story. The book also keeps you interested. Great dialogue, not giving away too much at the beginning, and constant movement.

Can't wait for Unravel Me, out February 2013.

Until next time, Happy Reading!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Mandy. I enjoyed your review. I like the way you described what you didn't like, as well as what you did. I struggle with that in my reviews and I think you did a good job with it.

    All the best.
    Scarlett
    http://scarlettrainssistersoftheheartsblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete