Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Holes


What I’m listening to right now: Hallelujah, Rufus Wainwright

What mood I’m in today: Reading 


I can’t believe it took me so long to read this book. I saw the movie first, and loved it. And I loved the book too. The movie hardly strays from the book at all, with two differences I noticed: Stanley Yelnats starts out overweight in the book, and there is one scene from the book (lady in slippers) that wasn’t in the movie.

The first thing I loved about this book is the main character, Stanley. His first name is just his last name spelled backward. He was in the wrong place at the wrong time, and getting mixed up in a crime he didn’t commit, was sent to Camp Greenlake, a juvenile detention center for boys.

Here we meet Armpit, Squid, X-Ray, and most importantly, Zero. Every day they have to dig holes, five feet wide and five feet tall, all to build character, or at least that’s what they’re told. It doesn’t take long for Stanley to realize the warden is looking for something.

Louis Sachar does an excellent job with his flashbacks. They are timed right, and you begin to understand how all the stories are connected. It might take a couple of reads, and a little bit of movie watching, to really understand and get everything that’s going on. From the onions to the yellow-spotted lizards, the story keeps you intrigued to the end.

One of my favorite lines – from the book and the movie – is “I can fix that.” Sam is such a great character, and good man who falls in love with Katherine Barlow, the school teacher. This is a long time ago, of course. Back when Greenlake was actually a lake, and not a dessert. When Sam kisses Katherine, it’s such a beautiful moment, ruined by the peeking townspeople, who kill Sam for what he did. Why? Because he’s black, and Katherine’s white.

If you haven’t read this, or seen it, do it! It is a can’t miss opportunity to work your brain and enjoy at the same time. Clean and fun for the whole family. The “Aha!” moments never end, up until the very last lines.
Until next time! Enjoy your summer, and keep reading!

2 comments:

  1. Now it's my turn to say I can't believe I've never read this book! I've seen the movie many, many times and absolutely adore it! I don't know why but I've never even considered reading the book until now =)

    New follower here!

    ReplyDelete