Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Divergent

What I’m listening to right now: It’s Not Over, Daughtry
What mood I’m in today: Reading


Divergent is the first in a series by Veronica Roth. I’d heard about it being great, and thought I’d give it a go.

What the book is about: Beatrice lives in a Dystopian society divided into Factions; Amity, Erudite, Candor, Abnegation, and Dauntless. On her sixteenth birthday she is tested in a simulation in order to give her guidance about which faction to choose. If she doesn’t choose right, she could become factionless, the part of their community that labors.

Something goes wrong with the test, and the woman in charge of the simulation tells her that she’s Divergent, and that she can never tell anyone or her life will be in danger. The results are covered up, and though the test results report that she’d do well in Abnegation, it’s not what she chooses.

What I liked about this book: The conflict. Beatrice is constantly conflicted in her decisions. She admits that she’s a selfish person, that she would do almost anything to earn her place in her new faction. It’s a difficult ride; she loses and gains friends, is betrayed, and falls for one of her instructors. Though some reviews I’ve read say the love story is surprising, I thought it was predictable. That doesn’t mean I didn’t like it, of course.

Divergent has a great plot, and the end is a little sad and cliff-hanger, but that’s what makes it so good. Great series all have great cliff-hangers.

What I didn’t like about this book: It’s repetitive. I like Dystopian, but I’m also finding it a little old. It took me three weeks to finish it. In other words, it wasn’t a “couldn’t-put-it-down” situation.  

Overall I give it 3.5 out of 5, and I do recommend it. An interesting and entertaining read, for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment