Tuesday, August 30, 2011

And So It Begins (Again)

Ah, the delights of an approaching September.  The sounds of cheering fans from the football stadium a mile south of my house, the smell of new books and freshly sharpened pencils, and the days slowly becoming shorter and shorter until the leaves turn red or gold and fall to the ground.  Isn’t the beginning of a new school year kind of fun?  There are so many things to hate about school, but also so many things to love about it.  New people to meet, a new season around the corner (followed by the three most fun holidays ever), and apparently new television shows, which I don’t know much about because I don’t actually watch that much TV. 
I thought a list would be fun for today.  If you leave a comment, let me know what your favorites are. 

My Favorite Back to School Books  
One of my favorites!  Who doesn't remember having a day like this?
Elementary School: Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good Very Bad Day
                     Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing
                     Miss Nelson Is Missing
                     Anything Harry Potter (What’s more fun than a school much more exciting than your own?)

Middle School: Diary of a Wimpy Kid Series(Ok, technically this could go Elementary, but I love it)
                         Sweet Valley High (very girly, fair warning)
                         The Diary of Anne Frank (might have to read this anyway)
                         R.L. Stine (he has a line of scary books for young adults)

High School: Sleeping Freshman Never Lie (this is one of my all-time favorites)
                      The Uglies (Westerfield is one of my favorite authors)
                      Twilight (I know, so cliché.  But I also really think it touches on that young adult feel)
                     
And a slew of teenage movies about the loveliness of high school:
                        Clueless
                        Mean Girls (This is actually a lot less shallow than it looks)
                        Ferris Bueler’s Day Off
                        Footloose
                        Can’t Buy Me Love
                       
Ok, that’s the extent of my lists today.  To all of you starting school, good luck.  I’m starting too – today.  I’m excited and nervous and all kinds of anxious at the prospect of going back to school.  It makes it extra nice to have a supportive guy by my side, cheering me on (minus the skirt and pom-poms). 

No comments:

Post a Comment