Sunday, August 25, 2013

Just So You Know

What I'm listening to right now: Celtic Violin Music
What mood I'm in today: Reading

I always try to review a book once a month, but I'm often a slacker. I haven't even really finished a book in the last two months, except for Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief, which I cheated with and listened to. And the truth is, I'm going back to school starting tomorrow and will be reading nothing but Shakespeare. Although I'm excited for it, it's hard to read and I doubt I will be able to fit in much else.

The first book in the series - Thanks to Google Books for image

As for my review of Percy Jackson, it'll be short. It was fun to listen to while I was doing dishes and cooking, I'll admit that. The book seemed to lose me in a few places, but the plot and overall feel of the book was just kind of fun and wholesome. It was the kind of book I needed, really. I thought Annabeth was a little more interesting in the movie than the book, and I admit that I liked the movie better, but maybe that's because I saw it first. The characters were more developed in the movie, and honestly I can't wait to see Sea Of Monsters, which just came to the movie theater.

IMDB
Honestly, I can't believe the Lightning Thief didn't get very good reviews. This is one of those movies we own and watch at least every three months. I guess when you read the book first, sometimes you don't like the movie much (enter Harry Potter), but I like this movie and the actors in it.

The one thing I did like about the book was *SPOILER ALERT* the fact that Luke went through a lot of people (Aries, for one) and made him look like the bad guy, when it was really Luke all along. I suspect, however, that as the series progresses that Luke won't be Bad Guy Number One (I could be wrong about that, who knows?) and that someone else is behind all of this messing with the gods.

Now that my schedule will be hectic, I'll probably be writing some things about Shakespeare. I'm hoping to finish The Eternity Cure before I have to take it back, but we'll see how it goes. Until then, I'm praying for more rain and that the deathly heat wave we've been experiencing is finally over. I can't wait to spend a day in the park with my back turned to the warm (not hot) sun, my nose buried in a book.

No comments:

Post a Comment